odd fur growing on my doe's back

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AnniesFarmFl, Dec 2, 2014.

1. AnniesFarmFl

AnniesFarmFl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is this new fur normal or should I worry? It's recently started growing. I checked if it was just dust but it won't come off.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    What is odd about it? Do you have a 'before' picture? We don't know your doe, we don't know what the fur was like before, what was 'normal' for your doe nor can we read minds.

What has changed? Color? Texture? Length?

What is she getting for her mineral needs? Her feed? Skin and hair problems are almost always caused by a mineral deficiency. A protein deficiency can also cause skin and hair problems, but you'd see other issues as well with that.

3. AnniesFarmFl

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    We have recently add minerals in her pasture, it's feels like cotton and it's a fluffy white/gray color, sadly I don't have any photos that clearly show her back side, she is about to give birth in a month I don't know if that has to do with anything, at first I thought it was from mating but she was mated months ago and this fur just started to grow a couple weeks ago.

4. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Is it undercoat that she's growing for winter? That usually comes out looking like cotton. It is kind of inside or underneath the regularcoast. Or is it the lighter Grey hair over part of her rump?

5. AnniesFarmFl

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    It looks like it's growing over her coat and it's only on her back side, my other goats have gotten their winter coat but this doesn't look like that if it is why is it only on her back side

6. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    Some goats change color in the winter, but if you've seen her winter coat before, obviously that's not it. I would look hard at a copper deficiency. You said they just got minerals, so is it safe to assume they've been without? Zinc is another mineral that deficiency causes hair problems.
    But you said it's growing in? And is soft? Usually deficiencies also present with rough coats.

So I guess, have you seen her in her winter woolies before or is she new to you?

7. AnniesFarmFl

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    This is the first winter I've had her,she was without mineral her first owners keep her on a large pasture as a weed eater, if it's her winter coat why is it only on her back? She has been like this for a couple weeks, the other goats have their full winter coats.

8. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    Not going to lie, this one has me stumped. She's not like mixed with a hair goat is she?

9. AnniesFarmFl

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    That can be a possibility, we never asked if she was mixed I just assumed she was a purebred Nubian based on the fact that the owner only had purebred goats.

10. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    If you do check, as if this is normal for her or not. I've never seen it before, but obviously I haven't seen it before, lol.
    Coat problems are usually mineral deficiencies, but they don't normally present with new soft hair growth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by