Odd habits your animals may have

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by southernsibe, May 22, 2008.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I started this thread after I read through the "strange and unual animals as pets" thread. I thought, hmm, I don't have any strange animals as pets, but my pets sure can be strange! So I will lead off with a few of my babies idiosyncrasies,

My cockateil loves to sit on top of my head, perched and will stay there, even when I put shirts on. He also has a foot fetish, if he sees bare feet he goes berserk and chirps, trills and sings to them until you take the feet or the bird away.

My Standardbred likes to hug. He isn't very tall, just 16 hands, but he likes to put his head on top of my head, and stand there. He has actually fallen asleep doing this.

[​IMG]

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I hope some other people share, and I am not the only one with strange pets!!!

Rachel

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Our gray cat has an odd affection for the stretchy, gold string that sometimes comes with gift packages. He carries it around, very proud of his special toy.

PS: That horse picture was really nice.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    One of our cats has a thing for pom poms. We call them 'ballballs' and she and DH have a daily ballball hunt before he can leave for work. By the time I leave, an hour later, she has rehidden all the ballballs under the basement sofa.

Some of the pompoms have legs & eyes from being Halloween spiders. These the cat plays fetch with. She will bring them on the bed, I will flick it off the bed and she will bring it back. Only once has she brought me a real spider. She was dismayed when I flushed it rather than flick it.

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Our youngest cat has a pink silk rose that is his favorite toy - he carries it around in his mouth and will play fetch with it, too. It's so funny to see this cat walking around with a rose in his mouth.
    My mustang gelding loves the water sprinklers (the rainbird kind). He will walk in circles around it so it will keep hitting him. He will also get up close to it and pull his lips back - it looks like he's using the sprinkler like a water pick [​IMG] It's so funny to watch!
    Liz

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    My Pom Precious has never had babies. When our smoke detector or timer on the stove goes off she will run around the house to find her blue squeaky baby and will cry if she can't find it. she will walk through the house with it in her mouth like she is trying to save it from a fire.

6. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    My two cats are water freaks. Pepper has to get in the bathtub or shower with you. She would stay in the running water in the tub until she floats if we let her. Patches is not as enamored with water but any time you turn on the faucet, she's there trying to drink. Anytime I brush my teeth, she's up on my chest, trying to see what's in my mouth. This is only with the toothbrush. She must like toothpaste.

Our beagle Max doesn't sleep on the couch, or on the bed with our daughter or even on a rug. No, he has to sleep on our dirty clothes in the corner of our bedroom. He scratches them out of the laundry basket and makes himself a comfortable spot every night.

I can't think of anything weird my lab does, except carry his food bowl off to eat. He's always done that.

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:My one horse does this too, although his head is usually on my shoulder (he's 15 hh and I'm tall. he also falls asleep when the farrier works with him--not always fun . If you walk into the barn with a glass in your hand, you better be aware, b/c he's quick with the tongue.

i have a cat who cannot resist an open car door. many ppl have had to turn around after discovering him in their car.

My rottie loves to chew logs. He picks them up, throws them around and drags them all over the yard. At lawn mowing time, we have to remove all the logs he has taken from the wood pile, and return them.

8. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I love hearing the cat stories! Two of my cats also love the water, but another of them will stand on the toilet while you shower and whine as if to say, "I love you but no way am I saving you from THAT!!"

9. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My donkeys dig GIANT holes. Then they stand in them. [​IMG]

10. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I had a cat that when you started petting her head and rubbing her ears her nose would start running and drip on me. [​IMG] She was such a sweet cat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by