odd laying habit

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hlavalley, Aug 13, 2014.

1. hlavalley

hlavalley Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    One of my white leghorns will only lay her eggs in the hubby's truck. If he rolls the windows up where she cant get in there, she wont lay. Besides clipping their wings and locking them in the coop until afternoon, what else can I do to deter her from only laying in the truck?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Before you try to break her of this habit, perhaps you should contact the manufacturer of hubby's truck, and see if they'd like to use your hen for an add about how even discriminating hens prefer that particular model!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Before you try to break her of this habit, perhaps you should contact the manufacturer of hubby's truck, and see if they'd like to use your hen for an add about how even discriminating hens prefer that particular model!

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Can hens really decide to not lay if they don't have their favorite spot? I would assume if it's coming, it's coming. I would bet the "not laid" eggs are actually hidden elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  5. hlavalley

May 29, 2014
    You may be on to something there! Lol

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If she truly won't lay (physically questionable assertion given the workings of a hen's repro tract) if the windows are rolled up, what would be the point of clipping wings and locking her up until afternoon?

7. hlavalley

May 29, 2014
    I have thought of that too. I have searched the yard, coop, barn under the vehicles in the run. If she's laying elsewhere shes a very good hider :)

8. hlavalley

May 29, 2014

I try to keep the girls in the coop to lay in their nest boxes until afternoon. I have turkeys that free range and they like to step on the eggs and eat them.

9. hlavalley

May 29, 2014

I try to keep the girls in the coop to lay in their nest boxes until afternoon. I have turkeys that free range and they like to step on the eggs and eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by