Odd leg behind chicken behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by schlitch, Sep 7, 2007.

1. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I've noticed that the new little biddies will sit down and put one leg stretched out behind them. Like doing the splits. I take it that this is normal, because I've seen most all of them doing this. Are they just stretching or is something else going on that may not be good? [​IMG]

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Totally normal thing that they all do. Sometimes you will see them standing and stretching one leg and one wing back at the same time. They are just stretching like us humans do. I enjoy watching them do it. Funny when they attempt to stand and stretch while on the roost. That's a "whoops, I'm falling....no wait....I'm flying....nope, I've belly flopped landed" kind of Kodak moment. [​IMG] Just enjoy and take lots of pictures.

3. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Great!

Yes the DW is looking at me funny every time I go to pick up the camera. [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's the infamous STRETTTCCCCHHHH! pose...It's usually a wing and leg on the same side.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Haha, it's so cute! My silkie used to do that in my hand as soon as I walked out with him into the sunlight. Then when I walked into the shade he's sit up, sun lie down, shade sit up, sun lie down! Too bad he ended up a boy though.

6. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Our ducklings did it first, then our chicks. We used to call it yoga-stretch. Funny to watch!

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by