Odd leg position on new chick

McSpin

Songster
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
South Western NY
I've got one chick with a weird leg position. It's only one leg and it's usually stretched out in front of the chick - not to the side. I've seen photos of spraddle leg chicks and it's not that. The leg is not injured. The chick does not act like it's in pain. I can't see an obvious deformity. It's almost as if the tendons are too tight for the bird to get the leg under it's body. It's now a week old and it gets around, but it looks strange, usually falls down and is peeping more than the other chicks.

It was born this way. It couldn't stand up until I put a bandaid "hobble" on it. It still has the bandaid on it, but when it walks, it keeps the stretched-out leg in front all the time. There hasn't been any real improvement in a week, so I thought someone else may have experienced this and might have a way to improve the condition.

hey im real sorry about that. . .im not sure how to fix this becuase im not really good on chickens and leg problems. . .but i was reading this and i got really sad. . . . . .i hope your chick gets better:/

I had a chick like that too, sadily it never improved though even after treating it for the spradle leg it did have. I had to cull it because it eventaully became immobile and was being pecked on. It was most likley due to not getting a stable footing within the first hour of hatching. Sorry.

I had a chick who ended up with perosis (the tendon sliped over to the side) when her mom stepped on her. We took her to the vet and had surgery done in the leg. It was doing a lot better but then started going down hill.
We just put "Crash" down last week because it got to the point where her other leg was starting to become deformed. If I had to do it over again, I would have put her down right away because I feel she suffered.
sad.png

Sorry to deliver bad news, but I really think culling would be the best thing.

Like CarrieBrown, I had a chick with the same symptoms (I didnt take it to a vet though) its tendon had slipped to the side.
feel the good leg at the knee while jently bending it, then feel the bed leg, you should be able to feel the difference if its a tendon.
Ours didnt make it either. If yours is going to make it. it will have to be immobalized while it heals in the correct position (you'll probable have to splint it) or else the good leg is going to take all of the stress of moving around, which will over work it and cause it damage.
Good luck hope it pulls through

Back
Top Bottom