Odd Light-White Spots on Roosters Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CandyQueen, Jan 8, 2015.

1. CandyQueen

CandyQueen In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Oklahoma, Stilwell
    Ok, so it has been rather cold here and I have been putting Vaseline on my Roosters comb. Recently, while I was looking at his comb, I noticed very light white spots on it. The rooster in the picture isn't mine, but this is exactly what they look like (Only it's not that bad yet).

Anywho, any advise on how to deal with this would be much appreciated! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It's probably just dry skin. You could take a bit of water and try to wash it then put some more vaseline on it.

3. CandyQueen

Jun 11, 2014
    Oklahoma, Stilwell
    Ok I will try that, thanks! [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

I don't know how cold is cold by you. Are a few tips black? Is one brown? I would not expect frostbite , has it been near zero?

5. CandyQueen

Jun 11, 2014
    Oklahoma, Stilwell
    I'm not sure the exact degrees, but yes some tips are a purple color. The only way I can give you a clue about how cold it has been is this: All the water is frozen (And that I broke 3 days ago is still on the ground) and any moisture on the ground has been frozen as well. Also I had some water on my hands and it froze too [​IMG] And the dots on his comb are starting to get a little worse.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It does sound like the tips may have some slight frostbite. Vaseline doesn't do a lot to prevent it. Don't massage the comb, since it will be painful, and cause more damage. Iodine or plain Neosporin can be applied to help prevent infection, but I usually haven't bothered since I usually haven't realized it until the combs turned black. The points of the comb may fall off eventually. Make sure your chickens have a draft free coop, but there needs to be a little ventilation high up overhead to let out the moisture, since moisture is what actually causes frostbite. It is pretty hard to not have any frostbite on the larger combs. Last winter was terrible for frostbite, not just with combs and wattle, but many chickens toes and feet froze off.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Early frostbite to black crusty skin to healing, minus the tips of the comb.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  9. CandyQueen

Jun 11, 2014
    Oklahoma, Stilwell
    Any tips on how to fix it? Or at least make it a little less-so?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: