Odd little rooster.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Brahmalover4eva, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Brahmalover4eva

Brahmalover4eva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2014
    coldest 48
    Hello BYC! So my little bantam rooster is a bit of a misfit. He can't seem to make friends with my birds, they fight a lot. He comes onto the deck every day then starts crowing. I open the door and *poof* he's in my arms half asleep as I stroke his feathers. Unfortunately his failure to make an alliance with the flock has given an infection on his neck, which I am currently treating, I am also going to start treating him for lice, as he has recently been afflicted by the seasonal pest. My dad also will not allow an indoor chicken (I don't blame him, we had a hen healing from bumblefoot and it was quite the hassle keeping her in as her cage could not be kept "Odor-free"). So what do you suppose I do? We have indoor/outdoor cats, could that possibly work with a chicken?
    Thanks!
    ~Gigi.

2. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    You could maybe try and keep him with one or 2 hens to start with for him to be introduced to before being set lose on the flock? If the rest of the flock is all large fowl he may just be too small to establish himself (which i doubt bantams are feisty little buggers!)

3. Brahmalover4eva

May 21, 2014
    coldest 48
    It's not not that he can't get along with the flock, it's just that he attacks every chicken he see's (even though we have bantams and he doesn't attack his rooster friend).

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Is he attacking? Or trying to breed?

5. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    he might just be very hormonal and tries to breed (agressively) with the hens which they don't like..

6. Brahmalover4eva

May 21, 2014
    coldest 48
    NO way is he trying to breed. I've lived with chickens my whole life and not to brag BUT, I am quite good at reading their body. The rooster is puffing his hackles, then he jumps at their faces and spurs them.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Where is a "chicken whisperer," when you need one? I think he just has 'Chihuahua syndrome'- he thinks he is BIG stuff, and the others don't see him that way.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What type of bantam is he? Maybe he has some game bird in his background.

9. Brahmalover4eva

May 21, 2014
    coldest 48
    not sure. He has silkie in him (purple comb, turquoise earlobes, fifth toe, and a crest + beard.) and some other bantam. He kinda has the color of a salmon faverolle roo and really big eyes. Oh and he's not fighting anymore! But he walks onto the deck and starts crowing until I diaper him and let him inside. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by