Odd looking "growth" in my egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heathero617, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    My silkie went from an egg a day to 2 in 6 days but she's not "sitting" on them unless she doesnt feel the need to be on the 24/7 because theres no one else hoe but her hubby. This egg, i left with her since 4/16 and it was broken in 2 spots so i figured id crack it the rest of the way. The other has been with her since 4/14 no foul smell or anything so i've left it with her. But this one had a wierd reddish brown thingie hanging off of it. If it was meant to be a baby i will feel horrible about cracking it open. I posted this on facebook but the picture wouldnt stay blown up for me so i figured id try here. I hate seeming so ignorant on the subject of chickens, but this is how i learn...by doing.
    [​IMG]

2. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Ok found my regular camera and took a few better pictures of the alien in my egg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Looks just like a little meat spot. In the last picture, you can see the bullseye in the middle at the bottom, that's where the chick would start growing. and if she had it for 4 days, you would have been able to see a veins and I think a little embryo starting. I don't remember eggxactly, but I think you can see an eye after day 3.

4. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Yeah thats what i thought too. I held it up to a really bright LED flash light and saw no veins or anything. Like i said it had 2 spots looked like pecker holes >giggle< sorry i have no other words to describe the holes. So I figured we didnt see anything spectacular and holes, we cracked it open. Wonder what the other one has inside? I almost have a feeling my flashlight isnt bright enough to be sure.

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I usually wait til day 10 to candle, then you can see a difference better between that clears and the growing ones.

6. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Well, i leave for out of town tomorrow and will be back Monday so by then we'll be at day 11 and i'll look at the one from the 14th then. Its been in the 80s here durring the day, is it possible it still might develop even if shes not on it 24/7?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by