Odd Lump in Young Chicken's Neck

missweki

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
I have a baby rooster that has been acting very odd lately. When I inspected him closely, he has a lump in his neck that is just under his head. At first glance, it just looks like he has a thicker neck so I shrugged it off. He has now been acting odd, though. His mouth is always open, and he seems to be having a harder time eating. He will peck at the food, and then lift his head and do swallowing movements for a minute before pecking at the food some more and repeating the swallowing thing. He is about a month old and none of the other babies are doing this. His crop does not seem as full as the rest of the babies. Anyone know what is wrong?

Do you have a picture? What does the lump feel like--is it soft or firm? Could it be air under the skin, as in a leaking air sac from an injury or bump? A leaking air sac can be common from an injury. It may be serious or not that serious. If they get large, they can cause a click with each breath, and difficulty breathing. A leaking air sac can be deflated with a 22 gauge or larger needle, but I wouldn't do this unless there was an emergency. If the chick is okay, and not in distress, I would just watch it.

The bump is very firm and I do not have a picture, but when I went back outside to today to check on him, the lump was gone. Could it be that he just eats too quickly?

Back
Top Bottom