Odd membrane in eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahIrl, Jun 26, 2010.

1. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    While my last lot were hatching early this week, I found two of the bunch had very odd inner membranes The outer membrane by the shell was fine, not too dry or wet. Most hatched fine. However, inevitably a couple got stuck. When helping them out, I found the inner membrane, the one with the blood vessels, was thick and like jelly. The chicks were ready, yolks absorbed, blood drawn in, but they couldn't turn to zip. So, I chipped away the shell, and rolled back the thick jelly like inner membrane to pop them out. It was not like anything I have ever seen before. It was up to 2mm thick in places. Any ideas what caused this? Had a little trouble keeping humidity up until day 18 and got it perfect for hatching. They did start 2 days early although was running at just under 100F. Very confused!!

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    This is the sort of membrane I found on one of my unhatched chicks last hatch. It was strange. My humidity had been high (I was trying to balance between chicks and ducks, won't do that again). It was very gummy and liquidy. Good luck finding an answer!

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I had the same thing earlier with a duckling not due till next Wednesday I was thinking it was maybe to do with changes in the weather as its been unusually hot this week? Having said that though the temp and humidity in the incubator have been fine.
    Poor little thing still hasn't absorbed the yolk fully so its wrapped in a damp cloth not holding out much hope though as its so weak [​IMG]

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    bump?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by