Odd Muscovie Drake? Duck fertility question.

ewohl

Chirping
Apr 20, 2015
MI
Hi, I have just gotten my first three Muscovies and I have three Mallard type farm ducks, two hens and a drake of each type. We are raising the Muscovies for meat and the Mallard types for eggs and meat. And for fun! My three kids love collecting the eggs every morning, changing their wading pool water and letting them out of the coop each morning. I bought all of the ducks from local farmers who were selling their excess adult stock.

I have a question--how long will the Muscovy eggs be fertile after we moved the ducks from the drake? The big drake on their first farm was a very dominate, and my drake... has no idea what he is doing, although he has been trying to mate the ducks. The farmer told me they were young (less than a year) but the ducks are laying and the drake has the right idea but the wrong end of his lady friends. Do I just have a crazy drake, or will he figure it out as he matures? I thought about leaving the eggs in hopes that one of the Muscovies would go broody, but I got them on Sunday (two days ago) and don't know how long their eggs will be fertile. Any advice?

one mating will make about 15 eggs fertile, and so those 15 eggs that she lays will have the traits of that drake. eggs fertility after they are laid is about 10 days, after that fertility will drop.

Yep, duck eggs are typically fertile for about two weeks after their last mating, but it can go longer sometimes as well (3 weeks or so).

I'm sure your drake will figure it out eventually. They do take time to get it right, but at least he's trying! ;)

Back
Top Bottom