Odd Mystery Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmitchell, Aug 23, 2011.

1. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

Found this mystery egg on the floor of the coop today. It had a dark reddish brown shell, a clear "yolk", was about the size of a large marble, and more round than egg shaped. I believe the scratch marks are from the chickens pecking it or walking on it. No idea who laid it or whether it was from one of the brahma hens or one of the Easter Egger pullets.

[​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Sometimes those little tiny eggs are called "fart eggs" or "fairy eggs." They happen to new layers sometimes.

3. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay Chicks,
    The color of this egg is throwing me off. If one of the EE pullets laid it, wouldn't it be blue/green?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    How dark are your Brahma's eggs? I don't know for sure that a hen wouldn't have laid it, but it seems like most abnormalities occur with pullets. Although Easter Eggers usually have the green egg gene, they can lay colors other than green. Wish I had a definitive answer for you...it might just remain a mystery. [​IMG]:confused:

5. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    How strange. Let us know what you find tomorrow!

6. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have seen many small, different shaped eggs but this is the first time I have seen a clear yolk...Weird

7. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Agree with first post....'fart' egg. When a hen first starts to lay, sometimes things aren't quite right for a little while. She'll get the hang of it. I love those first funny eggs! You never know where they are gonna lay them and they are so tiny and weird. Fart is a good description. It is as if they think they were just gonna fart, so they hide in the corner to sneak one out and 'oops' out pops an egg. Probably as weird for them to lay it, as it was for you to find it!!!

8. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    One of my buff Brahma hens laid a few dark brown eggs when she first started laying. Her eggs have since lightened up to a color more commonly associated with Brahmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by