Odd nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Smoosh, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Smoosh

Smoosh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    We have bantams and i was wondering want to make their nest boxes out of. Can you show pictures of yours? We have and old urinal and i was thinking of maybe using that. Am I crazy? [​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Depends on your coop set up..are you putting them in a row, on a shelf, stacking, how many??

I used the plastic "shoe box" size boxes that you can get in the storage section at ur local store (cost $1 each)

best wishes,
    Laura

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    They just need a dark box that they will feel comfortable in- around 12x12 is good. It does not need to be anythign specific so it might work. To you have a pic so we can see what exactly you mean?

4. LCTX-Chickens

LCTX-Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    League City, Texas
    I am wanting to build nesting boxes like I've seen on a number of other designs on here that protrude from the outside with a sloped / hinged roof / top that can be opened from the outside for easy robbing. Tractor Supply sells a generic nesting box, it looks like you just cut a square hole in the side wall of the coop & side nail it in. I'm guessing 12' x 12" will be fine with the front end being maybe 15" high to provide the slope for rain runoff. Should they be high in the coop or low? If I have 6 laying hens should I make six boxes or what would be the appropriate number for 6 hens?
    Thanks, new here!!!

[​IMG]

5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    You want 1 box for each hen.....at least that is IMO.

6. Smoosh

Smoosh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Ok. Thank you. I'll probably just use a wooden box or something laying around.

7. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    We built exterior nest boxes for our bantams...pics are in our link. We posted a ton of pics of our coop progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by