1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd one !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 3 barred rocks, Oct 24, 2013.

1. 3 barred rocks

3 barred rocks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    I have 3 barred rock hens. Two of them are very friendly, but lately one of them is skittish and today she didn't go into roost with the others, and stayed in the run in the dark squatting and jumping up trying to fly straight up into the wire ceiling. She seems to be the odd ball, stays away when treats come , and will join the other two after a little bit. She was very verbal today, so i am thinking maybe she is getting ready to lay her egg. I am getting 2 eggs a day, i'm thinking she hasn't yet.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Pullets sometimes do get rather temperamental or odd before they start to lay, always figured it was their hormones making them act up. With not wanting to go into the coop, you are sure the other two are not giving her a hard time or picking on her when she tries to go in?

4. 3 barred rocks

3 barred rocks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    I'm hoping they don't pick on her , she is a little different than them, kinda like the 3rd wheel .. :) Their living quarters are small, just temporary, we are building them a new coop, shed style and a huge run, i cannot free range them, i live in CT and we have 3 acres of woods, the hawks will come and sit on their "little " coop. So now they probably are a little stressed not having room to run. And probably tired of being room mates ! I am hoping maybe she is ready to lay , i am also thinking she might be a few weeks younger than the other two, her comb isn't growing at the same pace as the other two, and it's not a bright red. I am knew at this so i am not quite sure if that means anything.

5. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! She may be younger, she may be going through pullet puberty, she may be getting henpecked. There are many possibilities that could affect their behavior dynamics. Watch and wait and see what happens. Maybe when they move into more spacious permanent quarters, they will all settle down and get along better. Best wishes and have fun.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] sounds like she may need a chicken eggsorcism [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

8. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Welcome to BYC. Great info an peeps around here.

9. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by