Odd pipping...what to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robinaggie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    No time to search. Silkie pipped in the right place, then pipped above (closer to wide end), then pipped below, and now is bleeding. Do I just wait and watch?

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Yes, that's all you can do. Might not be blood; might be the yolk stuff like mine just did; just started oozing out of the pipped hole. Be patient [​IMG]

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks. This is tough.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Yes it certainly is! The little beak was sticking through the hole all day. Then I looked and all this goop started pouring out the hole. Now I don't see any movement at all. Am really hoping it'll be ok - yours too. Keep me posted -

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I'm sending healing vibes to your chickie. [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    There shouldn't be anything oozing out of pipping holes. That would likely only happen if the chick has not absorbed the yolk. Even then, the yolk is contained in a sack. Personally, I would upright the egg in a carton and make the pipped hole near the chicks beak a little larger so it can breath easily. Then you can wait...knowing that you've done all you can to make sure it can get plenty of air.

7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Mine are already upright in cartons, which is another reason I didn't understand why the chick was pipping in odd places. It's not as if it's rolling around and getting disoriented. It seems to have stopped bleeding. The chick is breathing - it just isn't trying to push out. I'm leaving it alone, just watching. Biting my nails.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    :flWell, the one that hatched is doing just fine. The other one still in the egg hasn't moved at all. I'll take your advice Oldtimegator and see what I can do, but I still have a bunch of eggs hatching in there so I'm afraid to keep it open too long.

Should I take a chance and pull the egg out to make the hole bigger and see if it's still alive?

Robin, I'm glad yours sounds ok. Still breathing is a good thing [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Four pipped this morning and don't want to come out. One pipped, zipped, and is lonely.

Good luck with yours. I hope someone can advise you on what to do soon!

BTW: Silkie chicks are not pretty.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Many chicks pip 24 hours before they zip and hatch. It's hard to watch them and not do something. I keep a close eye and if their movement, peeping, breathing starts to take a nosedive, I pull the egg and open the pip hole a bit more. I agree with trying not to open the bator too much. I have a side door on mine and lose hardly any humidity/temp.

BTW...I had one lone egg...a White Langshan...that I put in later than those in my last hatch but couldn't remember when. I left it in there and added new eggs, not really worrying too much about the humidity. I tend to "dry hatch" with good results. At any rate...I woke up this morning to a just hatched chick. And the humidity hasn't been over 45% anyday this past week. Just sayin'....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by