Odd poop is yellow firm and spongy with a little blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by julles1977, Nov 5, 2014.

1. julles1977

julles1977 New Egg

Sep 14, 2014
    Fostoria Ohio
    This is my first flock,5 Rhode Island Red chickens that we just got this summer. The girls are about 10 months old and have been very healthy. But this morning I found stool that was a yellow spongy and kind of firm and seemed like it had a outer skin layer. Curious, I used tweezers to pick it up and tear it open. It didn't look like there were worms in it but it was kind of chunky. I'm not sure which one of the girls it came from but they all were acting normal eating and drinking just fine. I've looked all over the Web for something similar and haven't found anything close. [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

To me, that looks more like part of an egg or a mass of egg yolks, instead of a dropping. Are your birds acting normal?

If you're concerned, I advise posting in the Emergencies section (Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures), for more help.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    X2. I would take a stool sample to the vet to rule out capillaria worms and coccidiosis which may cause blood in poop, but I think that looks like cooked egg material that is common in internal layers.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree you should post on the Emergencies thread

5. julles1977

julles1977 New Egg

Sep 14, 2014
    Fostoria Ohio
    Thanks i just posted in Emergency

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes looks to be cocci.

This can be a fatal disease and is most often diagnosed in young chicks. Coccidiosis (also known as cocci) is caused by tiny creatures called coccidia, a kind of protozoa. They grow rapidly and spread fast. This germ spreading disease is very common. Protozoa live everywhere including inside chickens. However, in the case of coccidiosis the protozoa become to countless and make the chicks sick. There is not many ways to treat this. To prevent this in adult chickens don’t allow water to collect in their living quarters. Clean their waterers and feeders often and provide daily and good management. Sadly, some chickens don’t live through coccidiosis because by the time it’s noticed, it’s too late. (Symptoms include: Weakness, lifelessness, pale combs and wattles, bloody droppings, not eating and sudden death.) The good news is if you know your flock and observe them daily, you can catch this early. Plus, if your bird lives through it, she won’t catch it again. The best treatments are amprolium and sulfa drugs and chorid 9.6% solution in the water.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I had something like this laid off the roost bar from a bird that lays Lash Eggs. Internal shedding of the reproductive tract. What it could be is lots of backed up egg yolks cooking in the uterus along with shed lining and finally being laid. Not sure about the blood however. Could be some coccidiosis along with this.

You might get her on some Corid or something with amprolium in it just in case. You can get this at the feed store. As for the lash egg, there isn't much you can do about it. My girl has laid a few funky cooked yolks and internal linings in her days. She is still a great layer and has no other health issues.

Good luck and I hope you can get this all figured out.

8. julles1977

julles1977 New Egg

Sep 14, 2014
    Fostoria Ohio
    I looked up a lash egg and that really looks the closest to what i had found. Been keeping a close eye on the girls and we haven't seen any unusual behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by