Odd post-laying behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NickyPick, Aug 11, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Out of 8 pullets that are now laying, only one actually sings the egg song after. I watched Opal lay an egg yesterday in the corner of the horse's stall and as she walked way, she started picking at the shavings. Every third shaving, she would toss it over her back. It took her a full 5 minutes to make her way across to me and the coop door. Any ideas as to what that was all about?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    May very well be a genetic throw back to the days when a feral hen would cover her nest to hide the eggs from predators.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Some birds, and I have no idea if chickens do this, but some of the avian kind will toss material over their backs for gathering nesting materials. My quail do this all the time, will toss hay over their backs into a pile, and then arrange it into a nice nest. Lovebirds will do the same thing. So your hen is probably attempting to gather materials for making a nest. [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't know [​IMG] but some of mine do it too after laying. Sometimes it continues all the way outside, and they pluck grass and toss that over their should too (for good luck maybe...lol).

5. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Ha, for good luck. Kind of like she spilled salt (egg), and now must toss salt (shavings) over her shoulder to ward off bad luck. I like that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by