Odd problem with one of my Cockerels....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chris Herzog, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    I have a Cockerel that doesn't do a very good job of cleaning himself. After about a month or so his feathers at the base of his tail near his lower back seem to look oilly. At the end of 2 months all across his back at the base of his tail looks like this. A month or so ago I gave him a bath after I washed 4 birds that I was taking to a show and he had no less than 3 times the dirt come off of him that all four of the other birds had combined. So I washed and dried him and he looked great. So this week I noticed that his feathers were starting to look like they did before the first bath and so I washed him again today. Samething....tons of dirt came off of him.

Is this a lazy bird or a problem that I don't know about? Other than this he seems normal....eats, drinks well all this is fine but I put 12 eggs from him and two pullets in the bator a week or so ago and none were fertile. I put 24 eggs from 2 other trios (same kind of birds) in the bator and all but one egg was fertile.....Don't know if this is related in anyway.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I have no idea what it might be, but I am interested in what others may say.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. Chris Herzog

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6. Chris Herzog

Oct 16, 2011