Odd question but how soon do chicks poop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantam Username, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    My first chick was born yesterday, it did one poop in the incubator but its been in the brooder all day and nothing. Its been eating, and although I've dipped its beak in the water, I've not seen it drink yet. Just wondering whats normal poopwise as I've never hatched my own before, I've only had them from 4/5 weeks old previously. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I haven't actually timed it, but it seems they poop a lot. You may want to double check to make sure they're not stopped up (pasty butt, that is called if you want to search on here).

3. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    It doesn't look bunged up from the outside, feathers are clean etc, how do I check?

4. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    Quote:if they get pasty butt, you'll see a clump of dried poo over their butts. it physically blocks them up, as opposed to true constipation which is internal and i think rare in chickens.

they poop from the get-go. they absorb their yolk right before hatching, which is like 3 days' worth of food and water. so as they continue digesting their yolk, they will poop. and their first poops are usually an odd color, because it's yolk poo.

5. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Should I bathe its butt in warm water later just to be sure then?

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If you've picked it up and looked closely and it hasn't got poo crusted on its butt anywhere, it won't be stopped up, so bathing it won't make any difference. I usually notice that mine take a day or so to get up to full pooping speed, so I wouldn't worry too much straight away. If it's eating and drinking it sounds fine, and I'd expect the pooping to get going pretty soon...

7. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Quote:Thanks, there is absolutely no poop, clean and pink, so I'll leave the little guy to it and assume it will start in the next day or two. He's fine and active and follows my hand around as if it were mum! Lol. [​IMG]

8. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    they poop A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    Quote:Pooping speed [​IMG] Yes, I think it takes a day or so as well to really get everything going.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When I hatch out chicks, I notice that they aren't very hungry or thirsty for the first couple of days. Hence, not much poo. I had one that wouldn't drink at all (that I could see) until the second day! And of course I dipped its beak at first.

How is the chick doing now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by