Odd question- double yolks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GingersHuman, Oct 12, 2016.

1. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    I had a double yolked egg the other day, and wondered if there was such thing as twin chickens, that come from the same egg. Or if anyone has hatched even one chick from a double yolked egg.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Double yolk incubations very, very rarely ever go well. Unlike a uterus, that expands as the babies grow, shells can't get bigger. This leads to all sorts of complications. For starters, in a normal egg, there is just enough room for one chick to get into position for hatching. In a double yolker, it's almost impossible for both chicks to be in the proper position for hatching. Then, there is the fact that one chick usually ends up at least partially absorbing the other. Even if it manages to survive both incubation and hatching, the conjoined chicks can't survive outside of the shell.
    For these reasons, setting double yolk eggs is very much discouraged. The reality is that the outcome is fairly gruesome and sad.

3. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC

Thanks for the info. I would never try it, just wondered how it would work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by