Odd Question - should I bring my bantam roo indoors - pic added

MissCluck

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Finger Lakes Region, NY
As in indoors I mean - as a house chicken. He'd need to be in a flight cage - big - 42l" x 32w" x 36 h"for his own safety (I have Jack Russell) but I'd take him out frequently when the dog is secured in the bathroom.

The problem is this: Hamish is a tiny bantam and he's odd man out. He doesn't snuggle with my big girls and he's stopped snuggling with the other two banties that I have. He also won't hang out with the young Easter Eggers that are now outside. There is a heat lamp in the coop but I often find him in a corner shivering and not anywhere near the lamp....or as in yesterday he was shivering outside while the heat lamp merrily gave out it's heat just a few steps away.

He loves to be picked up and held and enjoys sleeping under my fleece. I think it's the only time he ever feels warm.

The cold temps are just starting here in New York and it's not even been really cold yet. I think he needs to come in. Unfortunately though once he's in he's in and couldn't go out again. Angus, the other roo, tolerates Hamish but once Hamish is gone from the flock Angus will probably then attack him if I try to put him back in.

I don't think he'll be completely happy indoors but he's going to get sick outside.

Any thoughts and recommendations? He's such a sweet chicken.
Sitting alone.....

LonelyHamish.jpg

Snuggling....awwww
Awwww-2.jpg

Last edited:
What breed is he?
I have several seramas and a few other breeds I winter in the house, come spring everyone goes back to free ranging and all is well.
I woulod suggest because chickens are flock animals to get him a few buddies to keep him company if you choose to bring him inside, perhaps if he was isolated with the other few banties you have he would be happier?

Last edited:
I added photos.... I think he's a Dutch bantam...
He really doesn't hang out with the other chickens at all and I've no way of separating my coop or runs for individual breeds. ( Edited to add that this is completely my fault in not thinking ahead or planning for bantams in the first place - my bad).

I have a 8 x 7.5 foot Lifetime shed for everyone and they have a roughly 12 x 12 enclosed chain link area and then an attached 40 x 40 covered yard. Everyone else will be out pecking and being chickens and Hamish will be sitting by himself somewhere. Really sad.

I have canaries and finches indoors already... also a little concerned with bringing in anything odd from the coop, although my chickens are free of mites and lice.

The local "chicken lady" does have a few bantam hens available and I'd thought about getting a few for Hamish but then I think Angus would just perform his magic dance and they'd all go to him!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Awww hes a cutie! I'd get him a few bantie hens for inside, I bet that would lift his spirits and make him more comfortable. I'd bring him in too! Just look at that face!

Isn't he adorable? It's such an impossible situation:cool:.

Of course...he'd be in my LIVING ROOM as I have a very small house! ha ha

Chicken dander - ug. All I needed was an excuse to take a run to the "chicken lady" and peek at her lovely banties. ha ha

If I didn't have my Jack Russell then Hamish could have a diaper on and have the run of the house..... Thistle the doggie wants chicken dinners but he's fine if the birds are confined.

When snuggled Hamish also makes the best little contented noises!

I'm probably the last person that should answer this, mostly because I am such a softy and hate to see anyone(thing) get picked on or feel left out.
That being said.....yeah, if it was me I'd take him in, at least for the winter. My banty rooster is only a little bigger than my African grey parrot. My parrot has a cage about that size and gets let out once a day for a couple hours, whenever I can manage it. We have indoor cats (3) and they have to be seperated for the duration of his "playtime" (and my other smaller birds get the same priviledge)
Luckily, my house is "divided" into two "sides". The cats also get seperated at night and whenever we go away. They don't bother my birds when I am home, but I'm not taking any chances. Depending on how your dog reacts to the roo, I would never leave them alone, even if the bird is caged. Just too many horror stories of pets than seem fine with one another until the owner isn't right there (cages knocked over, birds half-pulled through bars, etc).
As a matter of fact.....I have 3 banties in my sun room right now
roll.png
. We are still in the process of building their coop and run outside and the weather just isn't cooperating. I brought them home last month from Virginia after my aunt passed away. They are in a modified huge dog crate with a next box and roost. As long as you put in a "poop board" that can be scraped every day, under the roost, the smell and mess is no worse than my parrots. (a bit of a mess...but no smell) If the weather doesn't give us a break I am thinking of expanding their area with chicken wire and linolium (to protect the floor) in the sun room and finishing the coop next spring. My sun room has no heat and a door seperating it from the house. I do have an oil-filled electric heater on low so it stays above freezing, as my roo has a very beautiful, large comb.
Didn't mean to go on and on....but just wanted to let you know, keeping him indoors can be done and to warn you about the dog when you aren't right there, even if the banty is caged. A lot of people have "house-chickens" and some even let them run loose with "diapers" on.
Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.
...and
hugs.gif
for being so concerned about your poor little guy
big_smile.png

Phew - I'm glad I'm not nuts for wanting to bring Hamish in. I work from home and I'm thinking I'll move the flight cage into my little tiny office so that Hamish will have me in there most of the day. That way he'll also be a room away from the finches and canaries. I have a baby gate that I can put across the office door opening, which doesn't have a real door..... I've done this when I've had the little chicks indoors.

Looks like Hamish is coming in today!
tongue.png
smile.png

Thistle says, "Chicken please".
GimmeTheChicks.jpg

He's in and loving it so far. The cage is small to me but I do like my animals/birds to have large areas to live in. Hamish will be able to come out several times a day at least.

He's enjoyed several naps, chatting while I was on the phone.... (try to explain to a client what that odd background noise is!) and enjoyed homemade bread and a snack of scratch grains and some chicken feed.

He's now intently watching me type this.

Back
Top Bottom