Odd question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Equest94, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    We chickens... I'm not sure what gender they are yet, we got them from a lady who breeds them for 4-H, our use for them is for eggs and "pets". Even though I am not sure, I think 1 or 2 might be roosters... now I was told that you don't actually have to separate the roosters from the roosters or roosters from the hens...it all depends on their behavior and level of aggression. My chickens have been together since they were a week old (they're 3 or 4 months now) and none have really tried to hurt/kill another...of course they have their bickering and slight chest bumping quarls but nothing too serious and because of that I think they will be fine together (?) We have 1 big and very nice coup but that's all we have time for/can afford (my dad built his own), and because of that, that's the main reason why we want to make sure all of the roosters and hens a like will be fine living together.

Ok...here's where the actual question comes in. Of course if we have roosters that live with our hens...they will mate and fetilize the eggs.... is there anything wrong with eating/using fertilized eggs? My dad's grossed out by that fact and in all honesty I find it bit weird when I think about it... but is that normal to some extent or would I be better off separating/getting rid of my roosters? Like eating a fertilized egg isn't going to cause health issue or anything is it? What do people do in general? I know people don't buy roosters if they only want eggs...but like I said, we didn't/don't know what gender they are yet (we're not chicken experienced).

I'm sorry, I don't intend to gross anyone out. I'm new to this chicken "business" and since I had them since they were babies, I love them, they're my pets... but my dad's idea is that if we can't keep roosters in the same coup then we have to eat them or get rid of them and I really can't bare to do that.

Let me know... am I completely sick and crazy? (lol) Please help! Thank you in advance!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You won't be able to tell a fertilized egg you just collected from an unfertilized one, taste, looks, etc. There is a way to know if it is by looking at the little white spot. It will have a ring around it. They won't become chicks unless incubated. And some health food stores sell fertilized eggs for higher prices, touting the health benefits, but they are the same nutritionally. I eat them all the time since I have two flocks, each with its own rooster. They are separate, no competition between the roos.
    The optimum number of roos to hens is 1 to 10-12. If you have too many, your hens will become barebacked and hassled by too many matings. How many roosters do you have to how many hens? That is critical. The roosters will spar for dominance, no getting around that. It also may depend on the breed as to how aggressive they will get with each other.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Exactaly what speckledhen said. You'll be fine. I eat fertilized eggs all the time. You can't tell the difference.

4. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Oh. thank you so much for your replies. I feel better now. [​IMG]

5. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Ummm my roo humps on a daily basis.Are the eggs fertile?Sure...Are they dang good?Heck yeah!

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i think a roo would crow by now! mine crowed at 2 months

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    yep, that is correct. Your roos will become different in nature by the time they reach 20 weeks. Then the simple chest butting will result in more serious fights. If all the roos are kept seperate from the hens ( far enough away that they can't see them ) then that will work, however leaving them together with the hens will result in a war between the roos. The docile roo will be the loser, and really prolly the one you want to keep. Keep a close eye on the flock and then decide what is best. Thinking pecking order doesn't matter can be a huge mistake. Good Luck!

bigzio

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  8. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Yup,mine crowd at 2 months also.Brackadoodoodo!

9. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    When mine started crowing, it sounded like he needed a new battery. He's got it down now (too bad,cause it's loud)
    There is nothing wrong with fertilized eggs, unless you are a vegetarian or something like that. since your dad is ok with eating chicken, he really shouldn't mind fertilized eggs. He was probably told some idiotic tale about fertilized eggs, when he was young. There's a lot of that going around...still....
    D

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If you're an observant Jew, then eating fertilized eggs isn't kosher, literally.
    But other than if your hen was setting for a long time on a fertilized egg there would be no difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by