Odd Roo behavior, or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BowChickaBowMow, Jul 31, 2008.

1. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Lately (for a couple weeks now) whenever any of us hold one of the girls and pet them, once we put them down, the rooster goes after them and bites their necks. It's like he's punishing them. If he's the one who gets pet, and nobody else.. he's just fine w/ that.

We give them all treats, at the same time, and pet them while doing it.

When we pick them up to hold them, it's not usually treat time.. it's just visiting time.

So what's up w/ this roo? Is that normal? Why is he doing that?

Any way to stop him?

TIA!

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    jealous

This is HIS flock and he is overly protected of them .

3. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I have several roosters that do that. If I take out a girl for any reason, even just to trim her nails and put her back, he pecks her and tries to mount her. It doesn't seem to matter which breed it is or how often the girl is out of the pen, most of them do it. I figured since most of mine do that it's pretty normal.

4. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Thanks for your replies! Glad it's normal. Not glad that it happens though. I feel so bad for the hens getting punished just b/c we pet them. They're starting to get hesitant to come to us. Our Roo does a wonderful job protecting them though, so I shouldn't complain.

We have alot of wildlife around here, and when he feels they're not safe, he'll heard 'em all into their coop and stand guard at the door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by