Odd Roo behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ceeceeholt, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    For the last week, my 13 month old Roo is actting quiet strange. He goes into the coop backs into a corner under the nesting boxes and growls? What is he doing? He isn't aggressive about it, just squats down and growls. Sometimes there are hens above him on the nests and sometimes there are not. Any idea about what he might be doing? It lasts anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. Then, life as usual, nothing different about his day.
    Thank you all.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He's showing the hens that he's found a good place for them to lay. My rooster does it all the time. He's being a gentleman. He will also watch over them while they lay their eggs.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You've found yourself a good roo, IMO. Not all roosters tend their ladies that well. My Cochin roo will actually get into the nestbox and prepare the nest for the hens, growling and chattering the whole time. Give your good boy some treats for being such an attentive guy :)

5. ceeceeholt

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Oh, thank you! He is a great Roo! Always protecting, but I never noticed this behavior, so I am glad to know that he is just helping his ladies out!. Big treat for Mister tomorrow:)

6. ceeceeholt

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Yep, that's it, he does just that only he is below the nest boxes not in them! Probably because he can't fit into one of the nests:) What an awesome Roo!!!

7. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    I had a new hampshire red roo do that as well. He would growl/make noise as he walked around food either in the pasture or the coop. The hens would come running. Then he would eat. Sounds like you have a keeper

1 person likes this.
  8. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I know this thread is old but this is exactly what my roo did yesterday! He sat in the coop across from the nest box while one of the girls was laying, then he went back in and did it again, burrowed down into the pine shavings, like he was trying to lay! Growling/talking the whole time. He is so good to my girls, too good sometimes - one of them pecks his comb sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by