Odd rooster crowing times

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yellowirenut, Dec 10, 2011.

1. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    My cousin has several flocks. Egg layers, Bantam's and Polish. The polish she just got this summer and is trying to breed, so far no luck.
    The polish rooster has started crowing at 11:30 at night for long periods of time and at other random periods of the day. Any reasons why?

I have not herd it myself so I am not sure if its true crowing or a warning call of some kind.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    As for the day - They crow all through-out the day. During day-light hours, there's no 'odd' time to crow.

As for night - Sometimes they'll crow at night for no reason. However, I'd be looking out for predators.
    Everyone of my roosters crow if they hear something tromping around in the woods or near the coops.
    Another thing, has she obtained any new roosters lately? This could be the reason for the night time
    crowing, as well.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:x2

4. yellowirenut

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Yea I was thinking predators...they HAD a mink and raccoon problem this summer. Both of them got lead poisoning *cough* cough*
    The Polish is the newest rooster himself. August is when she got him I think.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine started crowing at 5:15.

Calling the vet for a decrowing appointment today.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Whoa! wait! hold the phone there! Are you joking about Decrowing?? never heard of it. There was a young man here that bought some of my Roosters and said he was going to have them Decrowed, but I thought he was joking. So Joking or for Real ???

And since we had the time change, seems like my guys are all screwed up, started crowing round about 3 am, Grrrr! But in there defence, we have cats running around and something (not cats) but I don't know what eating there food at night, so it might be them hearing that or it could be the sheets of Alumium that is banging in the wind setting them off. They've always been early crowers but this is ridiculusssss.
    Sandy [​IMG]

7. yellowirenut

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    little update about the rooster.

he would crow at night 10, 12, 3 am type thing. He was stressing out the rest of the hens so much that there laying was being effected, something had to be done. Also i guess the rest of the house was not sleeping well also.

he crowed his last about a month ago...cousin asked her boy to "take care of him" late one night.
    Within a few days her egg production was back up.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Rooster crowing does not stress hens. Crowing is method rooster uses to attract more hens into his harem and to keep other roosters away (under natural conditions). Crowing is a signal that works from a distance. Number of times made per 24-hour cycle and quality of crow can indicate quality / health of rooster.

In my setting, hens roosting by themselves will gravitate towards roosters that crow a lot and well. Such hens also prone to cackle a lot, be heavy, and on verge of laying eggs.

Your being aggravated with rooster crowing is more likely to stress hens.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by