Odd rooster death

Dragongaming90

Hatching
Dec 10, 2017
When I woke up one morning I went outside to my rooster to feed him and he was gone and the only thing left is his leg with the bone on it no feathers no blood no sign of what happens also my rooster isn't tiny its a huge rooster that will even attack me when I'm too close I'm just confused how on earth it died it was in a pen aswell

Even the biggest most vicious rooster on the planet is completely vulnerable and at the mercy of predators at night when chickens are virtually blind.
A pen, unless it is completely covered and of wood, metal and hardware cloth won't keep predators out. Mink and weasels can get through tiny openings, raccoons and opossum can climb - anything. And fox can climb/jump virtually any fence.
Pens don't keep owls and hawks out either.
Since the bird is gone except for a leg, that rules out mink, weasels and likely opossums.
Any of the others are capable of eating most of the bird in situ.
Depending on where you live, there may be others capable of that 'odd death'.
Now is a good time for you to get a nice rooster that won't attack you while you prepare your housing to eliminate nighttime predators.

Last edited:
.... I went outside to my rooster to feed him and he was gone and the only thing left is his leg with the bone on it no feathers no blood.....

Here is a good example of why we should include a physical location when we join BYC. Without a physical location it is more difficult to narrow the IDs of predators. the UK, Australia, etc. don't have many of the same chicken killing and eating vermin as say North or South America, there are a whole different constellation of these predators in Africa that New Zealanders aren't bothered with and finally the genus and species even the habits of these predators varies greately between different parts of the same continent.
Depending on where you live on this planet I will suggest a bobcat or a lynx.
Now what are you calling "his leg"
:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome

Back
Top Bottom