Odd Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKeep01, Dec 7, 2016.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I have just got myself 2 Pekin bantams and i just put one in (not for long) to see how the others would react/treat her, my female Japanese bantam ignored her completely as did one of my Isa browns, but my rooster who is also a Japanese bantam was very interested in her as was one of my isa browns, who was following her around but my rooster was slightly puffing out his feathers (not much at all) and putting his head down near the ground well walking in circles. They have only seen each other for a couple of hours but when they were able to make contact (i was watching the very closely to be safe) thats all he did. I have seen him do this to me Japanese bantam after i held her but never paid much attention to it because they have know each other their entire lives. But what does this mean. Is is a threat or trying to protect her. I don't know if this matters but she is slightly bigger then my rooster.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are these birds?
    He probably was thinking about mating her.

3. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    My rooster think is about 10 months and my new bantams about 4

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like courting behavior.

5. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    Well that's good to know that he's being nice to her and not trying to kill her.

6. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I put them both in today and after about 2 seconds the rooster started to mate with one of them and the others just igorned them. So it's all good with them now.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A 10 month old male mating a 4 month old(not laying yet I presume) female?
    Not sure that is 'all good'....did she submit willingly...and did he leave them alone after mating them???

8. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    She didn't "submit willing" but he only tried with my one this migh be because they are the same size as him and I think one might also be a male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by