Odd shaped air sac?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 18, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    One of my dad's hens had been setting on a nest of 15 eggs. We don't know how long she had been setting, because we were unaware that she had started laying (free-ranger). I decided to candle the eggs, and all but 3 were not developing. We know she was setting at least a week. After checking the eggs, being unsure of how long she had been brooding, as well as the high number of them that weren't developing, I decided to bring those eggs inside, and put them in the incubator.

The eggs that are developing look like they are around 12-14 days. The air sacs are huge!! They also aren't in the usual circle shape. It is higher in the center of the egg, and goes lower on both sides. I have not seen any like this, but I have only candled incubator eggs so far.

These particular eggs are from my OEG hen. She has, since laying these eggs, started her own nest, and is now brooding. She was having trouble keeping her eggs under her, so I took the extra eggs and put them in the bator as well. Most of these eggs have the same shaped air sac, and Saturday will be a week that she has been brooding.

Could it just be something different about her? Or could it be because it has been so dry here lately? The air sacs almost look like what you would see if there were two air sacs, one on each side but connected.
    Also, what would be the likelihood of these eggs hatching? Would the chicks be worth messing with? I would think the large amount of the egg that is being taken up by the air sac would make the chicks pretty small, compared to what they should be.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Hard to say..I've had some weird looking aircells in eggs that hatched chicks out just fine. It could be the low humidity, but I don't think that would cause a problem hatching. I don't even look at humidity in my bator and have great hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by