Odd shaped egg & it's got a hole pecked in it-what the heck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by franklinchickens, Sep 9, 2010.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    One of my EE's started laying today and I am pretty sure it is her that pecked a hole in her own egg! It's shaped funny too - kind of small and pointy on one end. I think she stepped on my other EE's egg because that one is cracked.
    We have 3 laying now and the ALL go in the same box for some reason, and all around the same time so I don't have time to run out and grab them as they are laid. I'm not sure what's going on with the pecking a hole. Would it be because it was shaped weird? Or maybe she accidentally cracked the other one and thought it was tasty?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I understand that a hen will check the integrity of an egg with a little peck. That way she won't be wasting her time incubating a weak- shelled egg. Also, one that breaks easily may ruin the whole clutch that she's sitting on. The weird shape of the egg may have weakened it, and it broke under routine "henvestigation".

3. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Are you sure it was pecked and not pierced by a toenail? Was the shell rather thin? If so, you may need to feed oyster shell for the calcium. As far as them using the same box that's common. Chickens follow the leader. If one lays in a certain box then the others figure it must be a good place to lay and follow suit. If she did peck the hole let's just hope it's a fluke. Good luck.

4. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I'm not sure, actually, that it was pecked or a toenail - hadn't considered that. It was her first egg and it was kind of thin shelled. So maybe she did just step on it. She's the biggest of our 4 hens and was kind of stomping around in there getting the hang of it!
    I will add oyster shell - it's been on my list though we feed them a complete feed, plus they get plain yogurt almost every day, along with other random treats. The other 2 that are laying have been just fine with strong shells and daily laying. This particular hen had been sick a while back with a respiratory infection and I wonder if her system isn't quite as strong as the others. I feel better now - thank you for the responses!
    I'll keep an eye out for her in the box if I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by