1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd shaped eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SouthPawDixieChick, Jul 20, 2010.

1. SouthPawDixieChick

SouthPawDixieChick New Egg

Sep 27, 2009
    I have 5 Rhode Island Red hens, 1 Brown Leghorn hen and a Brown Leghorn rooster. My RIR hens are laying odd shaped eggs. All of them lay these elongated oval shaped eggs. The eggs are long and skinny. My BL lays a regular shaped egg. The chickens are fed egg maker pellets and are let out to free roam 4 to 5 times a week. What is making my RIR lay odd shaped eggs?

2. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    How long have they been laying?.. When they are new layers the tend to lay long odd looking eggs ..

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    yep I was going to say that I have several first year layers and I get several elongated eggs per week. I think the more they lay the more "normal" their egg shape becomes.

4. SouthPawDixieChick

SouthPawDixieChick New Egg

Sep 27, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.... They have been laying for about a year. Is that still considered as a young layer? I have had RIR before and didn't seem to have this problem. I was wondering if it was deficiency? My BL hen seems to lay regular shaped eggs. Thanks for any reply/help [​IMG]

5. 88Blondie

88Blondie New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    I notice my older chickens lay longer shaped eggs sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by