Odd skin coloration

Bluepheonix13255

Chirping
Oct 4, 2021
Knoxville, Tennessee
To start off the bald spots I believe are from bullying. But thanks to them I've been able to notice these odd spots on a couple chickens. The worse one is by far the most prominent.
I asked about the bald spots in another post and was told I should check them for parasites to be safe.
For the worse one she doesn't really mind me prodding those dark spots, so my guess is it was some bleeding under the skin, but the others aren't big fans of me poking at them. For the other I don't know if it's old scabs or something or if I should be concerned.
We have 18 chickens and I've noticed these spots on 3 of them.

Attachments

• 20220311_101511.jpg
    20220311_101511.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220311_101450.jpg
    20220311_101450.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 2
It looks like bad irritation from feather picking. That can lead to cannibalism if not stopped. How many chickens do you have, and how much room do they have? Are they confined to a coop and run or free ranged? What are you feeding them? Some breeds can be more agressive. I would protect the 2 chickens from others, possibly in a separate pen or dog crate. Look them over for evidence of lice or mites, and treat with permethrin if found. Make sure they are getting at least 16 percent protein in a balanced layer or all flock feed. Increasing the protein to 20% might be a good idea temporarily.

Alright then. There's 18 of them, and I asked about pen size in another thread and expanded to that size. I don't know the brand of our deed but next time we get it I'll check the percentages and add protein if needed.
Most of our bullies are Black Sussexes.
I just wanted to double check before

Back
Top Bottom