1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd smell around comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christyfaye, Jan 6, 2013.

1. christyfaye

christyfaye New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    My RI Red hen has small black clumps on her comb and she smells strange. Kind of sour. Thought it might be dirt on her comb, but it didn't come off easily. Scabs maybe? I haven't seen her pecked at all, and she's eating and running around and laying just fine. Nothing unusual about her crop that i can see. Smell is grossing me out and worrying me a bit, though. Thoughts?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Sounds like it could be Avian pox. I would look it up see if its that. Here is a article on it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

3. christyfaye

christyfaye New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    Thank you so much! I'm now thinking my girl has sour crop and fowl pox, poor dear. I've got her in a pen alone on a special diet to hopefully help her crop work itself out (scrambled eggs, yogurt, and olive oil, plus added raw apple cider vinegar to her water). I guess I'll just keep an eye on her pox. I cleaned the coop recently ... may need to do that again.

Thanks again for the comment - very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by