Odd soft egg!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dusty1, Apr 30, 2009.

1. dusty1

dusty1 New Egg

Apr 29, 2009
    Aberdeenshire
    Hi there, I am new to keeping chickens and to this forum. I have recently aquired some (6) rescue hens, who have now put on some weight, their feathers are back and some are laying again.I have had a tiny egg which I have learned from this forum are known as "empty" or "rooster" eggs, and not so uncommon. However my question is regarding large soft eggs (like touching a water balloon), I could see that the egg looked odd in appearance and almost transulcent, when I picked it up it burst at my finger tips without any pressure. There has been a few like this, some have burst in their boxes, can anyone advise why this is hapenning? Thanks.

2. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    I'm not sure what could be the cause, but it sounds like it was laid without the outer shell. You might want to check to see that they are getting the appropriate layer feed (% protein and calcium) and they may need extra calcium added (oyster shell calcium supplement). It could be just a normal part of getting into a laying cycle if they were malnurished previously, though.

3. dusty1

dusty1 New Egg

Apr 29, 2009
    Aberdeenshire
    Thanks Warhorse for you quick reply. I am going to get more chicken feed today but I will see if I can get calcium supplements too. Some eggs that I get are normal, so maybe it is a new cycle of laying again.

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Sometimes this just happens, some call it a misfire.

But also you could make sure your girls have access to oyster shell, and as before you can check they are on the right feed.

layers pellets should cover this with oyster shell available for them, but even then this may happen now and again.

well done for the rescuing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by