1. Burton Wyandotte 601

Burton Wyandotte 601 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Georgia
    Hey I have a 2yr old white leghorn, she lays an egg everyday and has never been sick, she was fine this morning, but I whent out to put up our geese so that they wont get attacked by foxes during the night. she was up on her roost making this odd sound every time she breathes in and out. It sound like she has a deep sounding wistle stuck in her throat. I checked her over, felt her throat and crop but nothing. I sat her back down and she went right back to her perch and continued to make the sound. Does anybody know what is wrong with her? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Is she eating and drinking normally?Maybe her throat is dry or she is uncomfortable.

3. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    No changes in the flock? The air in the coop is good? No possibility she has something in her windpipe - shaving or something? She's usually out off of her roost every day? No big changes in the weather?

It's possible that she has gapeworm, or the beginnings of a respiratory issue. I'd probably treat her with fenbendazole for the gapeworm, and do "supportive treatments" for respiratory illness - short of medicating her with antibiotics for the respiratory as you don't know if it's an "illness" or just a condition yet, much less whether or not it's bacterial.

I'll put an article on how we do supportive treatments for respiratory here at the end of this post. I find that doing these steps sometimes means I don't have to medicate as the symptoms resolve. If the bird is ill, they help her heal and compliment medical treatment if you eventually decide to go that route.

For fenbendazole, SafeGuard paste is your best bet - 1 BB or pencil eraser sized glob in the beak of the bird's mouth. SafeGuard paste is the 10% worming (horse, cattle, livestock) paste available at most feedstores.

4. Burton Wyandotte 601

Burton Wyandotte 601 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Georgia
    the air in the coop is very ventelated, and we have put fresh shavings in their pen about 2 weeks ago, I checked her very well, I thought for anything stuck in her throat but could find nothing. And she also eats very well every day. Her nose or eyes were'nt runny at all and she seemes completly fine. except for the noise. about the wormer can I give it to her flock mates to make sure they dont have anything? And thanks for all your help!!! Its reall nice to talk to someone who knows what their doing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  5. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I had a hen that did that once and I took her to the avian vet and spent $200 on her and nothing showed up, but it went away the next day. Next time it happened, I didn't do anything and it went away.
    I think scratch can get caught in their throats/airway and even if they've coughed it out, it can cause enough inflammation or thickening of the mucous enough to constrict the airway a bit.
    Then again.........I have a black australorp who has a chronic expiratory "honk" intermittently through the day and when she goes to roost. I think she might have a tumor in her throat, because she always breathes very fast and her throat area is larger than the others. She still eats well and looks healthy otherwise.
    Just keep an eye on your chicken. I wouldn't be surprised if it clears up soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by