Odd sounds

Can you get a picture of the eye with some light on it? I cannot see it too well. Does the sound she is making sound like a wheeze or stridor?
getting pictures now. I don't know how to describe it. it doesn't seem to sound like either but if I had to pick I would say wheezing.

When my chickens started making harsh breathing sounds they came down with the respiratory disease. Not saying that's what you have for sure but there is a chance. What ever you do don't let her in with other chickens unless you know for sure she isn't disease or all of them might get infected.
I don't think it is respiratory but I don't know.

Separate her from the flock for observation, just in case it's respiratory illness and to determine if she is laying, egg bound, or suffering reproductive disorder. How does her vent and butt feathers look? Clean? Dirty? Dry? Moist? Swollen? Red? What does her poop look like? Color and texture, pictures of her poop might provide clues. Seems counter-intuitive to look at the other end of the hen, but chickens have many air sacs, and if the hen is suffering from an infection brewing, the swelling could restrict her breathing; and it never hurts to check both ends of your girls.
I cannot advise on her eyes changing colors, but I suspect that may be a clue too... but unclear if we're looking at one illness or a cascading series of illnesses.

Will she drink water maybe warm water. I can't think of anything else. She could have a stone stuck in her throat. I have seen my chickens eat stones I have no idea why they do that.

Well, it is good that we know what she is doing now. Many times people here on BYC will post about their chicken having stridor, and it will go away in a few hours if it is caused by a small piece of food or mucus. They just cough and clear their airway, and sound normal. I would offer some water for her to drink. I had a hen who would do this occasionally when she ate too fast, and some feeds can be fine and dusty.

If she doesn’t sound normal later today or in the morning, she might be suffering from a respiratory infection or disease. Look for bubbles or foam in an eye, clear nasal drainage, head shaking, sneezing, or crackly breathing. Let us know how she gets along and I will look in again for a new picture.

Back
Top Bottom