Odd speckled egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Skittleinaustin, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Skittleinaustin

Skittleinaustin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    Today I found an odd egg in my box. It is from either my blackstars or buff. It is rough and speckled with lots of white so something is throwing this girls pigmentation process off. Any clues as to why and if I need to worry! FYI, they are all about a year old, eating organic feed, bugs and remnant stuff from house including rice, grits, quinoa and bread.

I can't upload a pic from my iPad so I'm having to go with description only until I can get to a pc unless someone can tell me how to upload from my gallery vs a web URL (the only option I get when I hit the pic icon.)

Thx and happy new year!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If it is bumpy like sandpaper, it's just excess calcium. Nothing to worry about.

3. Skittleinaustin

Skittleinaustin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    It's not rough so to speak. It is more like a white paint splatter and the white sections are slightly raised. Almost like stickers on the shell.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just excess calcium.

5. cyndiloowho

cyndiloowho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Ut
    When you are using an iPad make sure to scroll down and check and see if you are clicked on "mobile" instead of "desktop".

Also, I completely agree with Happy Chooks. Nothing to be concerned about. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by