Odd spots on Rooster Comb?! Help please

GrammiChelle

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2014
Southwest Texas

Hi, this year is my first as a chicken owner. I have 6 RIR hens and Langshans, 1 cockerel and 3 hens. I also have some American Game Fowl that the homeowner left on the property we rent. Pictured is the rooster. I call him Bruno. He is quite wild and I can't get very close to him, but he hangs around with my coop chickens when they are free ranging, now that the girls are of age, because my young roo isn't yet mature enough to be the boss. I just noticed his comb is looking a bit purple/black on one end.
Since he spends quite a bit of time with my flock, I want to be sure he doesn't have anything that he can pass on to them. I make sure the Game Fowl have access to water and food, outside my coop. I live in Southwest Texas, so the Game Fowl roost in the mesquite trees at night.
Bruno has recently moulted his tail feathers, they are growing back well, I think.
I've done some research on comb problems but I couldn't find anything that would help me with this.
Any ideas? Any possible treatment? Not that I could catch him unless I buy a trap and he's a pretty smart boy!

I see a little bit of dark coloring there. Maybe he just bruised it somehow? I would just keep an eye on it for now...

Oh, and if you want to catch a chicken that is kind of wild, the easiest time to do it is night time. You can literally go right up to them and pick them up. They get very still at night.

I'm happy to report that today his comb looks better. Just a small speck of discoloration on the very tip so maybe it was bruising. I guess I just didn't think of that although it makes perfect sense. I have so much to learn, and what I just learned is sometimes chickens are just like us. It's just a bruise.

About catching Bruno, I'd have to climb up a tree to catch him at night. He goes up before sundown, crowing all the other birds to bed. The mesquite trees aren't very tall. I suppose I could use a ladder. But his spurs are almost 2 inches long. Not sure I'd want to tangle with those up a tree at night. Lol
He is getting more tame as time goes on. My coop chickens eat out of my hand and I can see him thinking about it sometimes. But he is a very good rooster, does his job 100%. He's totally on the alert and warns everyone of danger.

If anyone reading this is from Texas, I am looking for a home for the Game Fowl on this property. They were abandoned here by the homeowner we rent from. And have reproduced. I am hesitant to try to re home them using things like Craig's List because I know they could be used for cock fighting and I would not want that to happen. I live very close to Mexico and I think it might still be legal in some states around Texas. They cannot be transported beyond Texas state lines. That's a crime. There are about 14 or so of them of various ages running loose on the property. Several very young chicks and a few gens are missing, most likely sitting nests. There is a young cockerel, Brunos's son, obviously, nearly a carbon copy of dear ole dad. I named him Bugsy and he's nearly impossible to get near. Like I said, if you know of anyone who'd take these and give them a good home, please private message me.

I'm so glad your rooster's comb is looking better. He's a handsome guy, by the way. You're lucky to have a good rooster like that. They're all different.

Back
Top Bottom