Odd spotted eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GreggsEggs, Dec 15, 2007.

1. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    Every so often I get a couple spotted eggs out of 2-3 dozen. They are brown eggs with reddish spots. I even get some that have dark and light spots and when help up to a bright light they are translucent almost transparent.

Here are a couple of pictures.....let me know if i should be concerned or not..... is there a problem with their diet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Thats normal coloring for eggs....something to do with the traveling time down the oviduct!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Look fine to me! I used to have a hen who laid pinkish eggs with lavender speckles sometimes. Pretty! I love the speckled ones.

4. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Yep i have a Buff orp hen that gives me some of those, they're perfectly normal.

5. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Normal. my buff orp lays those eggs all the time.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:She still does.
    It is normal.
    My RIR's lay eggs that look exactly like your pic.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Those are very normal for backyard chicken owners to get from their hens sometimes....Only reason they seem odd is because everyone is use to store bought eggs that have been washed and waxed, steamed and pressed, run through x-ray machines!...LOL... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by