Odd stretching

Dancingwnature

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
NW Washington state, USA
One of my Hens stretches out her head and neck like she's got something stuck. Is this a good diagnostic symptom? I'm using apple cider vinegar in the girls'water. They have a constant supply of soluble oyster shell grit & insoluble granite, water etc.
Any ideas?

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
A short video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here might help. Chickens will stretch their necks to adjust their crops, and some may do that is they are gasping for air. Is she making any sounds when she does this? Can you check her crop first thing in the morning (before she eats or drinks) to see if her crop is empty and flat, or if her crop is having problems emptying overnight. If her crop is full and hard, doughy, or puffy, there may be a problem.

Dancingwnature

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
NW Washington state, USA
Does she stretch her head out straight forward or up?
She could be adjusting her crop.
Thanks for your response! She stretches straight forward with a very determined look on her face. Oh, and she was doing this during our nightly getting ready for bed routine.
She's looking at the molt from the worst is past. Her feathers are getting fuller and shinier.
I mention this because the crop adjusting behaviour is one Ive never seen before. This is her first molt . Her appetite is returning.
Do you think she's getting into her new norm, maybe eating too fast? That makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you again!

Dancingwnature

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
NW Washington state, USA
A short video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here might help. Chickens will stretch their necks to adjust their crops, and some may do that is they are gasping for air. Is she making any sounds when she does this? Can you check her crop first thing in the morning (before she eats or drinks) to see if her crop is empty and flat, or if her crop is having problems emptying overnight. If her crop is full and hard, doughy, or puffy, there may be a problem.
In the morning her crop's deflated and she's very passionate about refilling it! LOL! I'll search for the video you mentioned, thanks!!

Top Bottom