1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd Symptoms In Hen....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Nov 3, 2013.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a 2 1/2 year old hen that is exhibiting strange symptoms. About 2 weeks ago, I was finding her sitting off by herself, sometimes sleeping or just standing in the corner. She has not been eating much over the past few weeks and many times her crop would be quite empty before roosting. She is going thru a molt and is losing a lot of feathers quickly, so I attributed her lack of appetite to molting.

Then sometime last week, I noticed that when ever she leaned her head down, liquid would come out of her beak. At first I thought maybe she had just drank a lot of water and possibly it was just coming back up. But I saw this again later that day and she has never done this before. So I felt her crop and it had very little if anything in it. But I picked her up and leaned her forward for a vomiting, not thinking much would come out of an empty crop, but it did. It just kept coming, like it was coming from further on down from the crop.

Ok...so a day or so later, and still she is leaking fluid from her beak, I got a hold of her to see if anything would come out her beak and the fluid is starting to smell sour. Just like a sour crop would smell, but her crop is empty. The liquid is frothy and sort of yellow. So I started using vaginal cream on her twice a day and it seems to have tamed down the smell and the liquid coming up and out her beak. But she is still not right. If I stop the vaginal cream, all this starts all over again. She is eating a bit better since starting the vaginal cream.

She is not suffering from a slow crop, as when she does eat, it moves thru her quick enough. Her crop is completely empty each morning. Her poop is nice and solid, dry with a nice white cap on it. She is drinking well, and eating, although not as much as she usually does. I keep all my birds wormed and on a good diet. Her comb is not pale and she acts fairly normal, although a more tired than she usually is.

What would cause these symptoms...a bacterial infection somewhere in the GI tract? A yeast infection somewhere further down from the crop? She is molting...could she have eaten a bunch of feathers and she has a feather ball in her gut somewhere?

Thanks!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    My bird did the same thing with the fluid when she had a respiratory infection. The fluid would just pour out. I'm not sure that's what's happening here with your bird however it sounds very similar. If you think this is a possible cause you can try treating with tylan 50 for large birds its 1/2 cc small birds 1/4 cc given once a day in the breast muscle for 5 days. I would treat soon and not hesitate if you think this could possibly be what's going on. with my bird I hesitated and treated too late and very sadly she
    aspirated on the fluids coming up and died. You might also want to sepatate her. I ended up loosing Three birds to this. By the time id realized it was respiratory it was too late for me.my birds never had any mucus from the nose or sneezing or coughing. only the fluid. It was my third bird when I finally heard the wheeze. They all had that fluid and only one wheezed.so its quite possible that the illness your bird is expirencing is respitory related. You can get the tylan at most feed stores. If your certain its not a crop issue than I would guess its respitory.i really hope this helps. And hope your bird gets better. Be very cautious when you handle her with that much fluid she can easily asperiate like mine did. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thank you very much for your reply. So sorry to hear about your bird. It is possible that my hen is suffering from the same thing. She is not showing any signs of respiratory ailments, but like your bird, she may not show any symptoms either.

I have dealt with birds and sour crop before, but not like this. If my bird's crop were full in the morning or at least full when this fluid is coming up, I would assume she did have a crop problem. But there is usually nothing or very little in her crop during these episodes.

And I can only assume the sour smell is just a secondary yeast infection from some other issue going on in her body.

I have to go to the feed store this week and will get some Tylan. (I seem to have every other medication in my med box except Tylan.)

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me, you have been of great help. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by