Odd things on my birds foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the fox, Dec 24, 2008.

1. the fox

the fox Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2007
    Sorry that their not chickens but its a thing that i guess chickens have to.
    I brought a pair of fancy pigeons two days ago. One is limping and when i looked closer i saw lumps of what i think is dirt on the end of his toes. He almost never stands on that leg. Whats wrong with him.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Could you post a picture of the foot?

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If caged raised it could be poop balls. This happens when they constantly walk through their own poop. The area under the balls could be raw and sore.

Soak the balls till you can start breaking them apart. You will need to go slow once you get close to the actually toe. Just do your best to get it all off. Make sure you get it all clean and use 3-1 or other antibiotic ointment to coat any sores.

This is problem that happens frequently with chicks that are in a solid floor brooder. Early on the poop can be just picked off. Later it has to be soaked and slowly chipped off.

Matt

4. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Or maybe bumblefoot??? Can they get that? I know chickens turkeys and pheasants can.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are dirt balls... it is probably poo balls. Soak them off SLOWLY. If they have been on there for a long time, babies can lose toes due to being constricted in them...

6. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Bump

7. the fox

the fox Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2007
    Sorry i forgot about this post!

Anyway i think its just that i will try sort it out as soon as possible.

Thanks i was getting worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by