Odd trio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sourland, Apr 16, 2012.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sourland and the Princess just got back from a riverboat trip from Amsterdam to Brussels. Canals, ditches, creeks and rivers - all filled with waterfowl. Saw every color possible of mallard crosses from dilutes to normal. Many pairs of Egyptian geese. A nesting pair of Canada geese and of course many native ducks and geese. The odd trio was a Mandarin hen, wood duck drake, and mallard drake traveling together. I wonder what their story was? Released by or escaped from someone? They were definately their own 'mini flock' as I saw them over the course of several days????

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Sounds like a lovely vacation.

3. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great vacation, but for me even greater to return home. What can I say? [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you take pics of all this beauty [ducks geese etc]? [​IMG]

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Miss Lydia, the Princess is in charge of the camera, and none of her pictures are of the feathered beings. [​IMG]

6. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    lol. too funny. even in captivity they will do that. i had seen a friends mandarin drake paired up with a ring teal male. he sold her to me with a mandarin drake he had extra and she is in the nest box. my white mandarin male is triod up with 2 white hens. i guess he thinks he is some sort of pimp in his white attire because he always boats to the other drake that he has 2 followers and he has the one.

my other pen with 3 pair silver wood duck and 2 pair mandarin are paired how they should as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by