Odd White Film

BlueTannery

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2015
I just caught one of my hens in the act of laying the egg, and I by opening the coop I accidentally scared her off.
I came back about two minutes later, and discovered one egg that had an odd white film over it. As I'm not totally sure who does most of the laying around my coop (something I'm working towards fixing), it could be that this is her first egg.

Either way, the film was pretty regular, not speckled but more of an even dusting. It washed off immediately when I rinsed the egg in water, but resisted scratching from my fingernails.

Any ideas?
thanks in advance :)

I'm not very sure
hmm.png
, It may be just a mess up on her first egg so I would just wait and see if you get anymore like that. You could also read this article which may give you an Idea if it happens again: Common Egg Quality Problems

I just caught one of my hens in the act of laying the egg, and I by opening the coop I accidentally scared her off.
I came back about two minutes later, and discovered one egg that had an odd white film over it. As I'm not totally sure who does most of the laying around my coop (something I'm working towards fixing), it could be that this is her first egg.

Either way, the film was pretty regular, not speckled but more of an even dusting. It washed off immediately when I rinsed the egg in water, but resisted scratching from my fingernails.

Any ideas?
thanks in advance :)
Might have been excessive 'bloom', the protective coating that get put on the egg as it leaves the birds body.

Lots of 'normal' oddities can happen in the first month or so of laying, usually nothing to cause concern.

If you find another odd egg that you need advice on, best to take a pic with a quarter next to it for scale.
Meanwhile check out the 'weird egg' thread for pics of lots of odd eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697007/weird-or-odd-eggs-pics

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom