Odd young bantam hen with severe scratching issue/fit ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peeekin, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Peeekin

Peeekin In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2019
    Hi and thank you for letting me join :)
    I have this young bantam hen who is 3 months old from my own hatch, her 3 egg mates are all fine as is the rest of my flock.
    She has been doing this for the last 48 hours and I have no idea what it is. Have just put her on Enteril and Metacam and she is indoors away from the others already due to what appears to be a sore leg initially, apart from the limp she behaves normally until she has one of these 'fits' !!
    Has anyone seen anything like this before please ? Had a peek in her ears but can't see anything amiss nor down her throat.
    Once its over she is perfectly fine.
    Many thanks.

2. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    That not an itch. That’s neurologic in nature.

Given the age of the bird, it could be nutrition based and might be corrected with the proper supplements.
    Lets ask the pros.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony

3. Peeekin

Peeekin In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2019
    I have had her on Critacare Avian in addition to normal mix and crumble plus a vits a mins supplement to make sure she was getting enough etc as we were unsure what was causing her to limp.

ButtonquailGirl14 and staceyj like this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC. Very strange. If she were mine I would treat for life and mites with permethrin and I would give her a vitamin E capsule a few days in a row as well as some vitamin B complex.

Where do you live?

Since she is limping I am suspicious of Marek's, but do try the vitamin e and b complex.

5. Peeekin

Peeekin In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2019
    Thank you - yes Mareks has been thought about hence why we put her on the vits and mins and also the aspirin route which seemed to improve the leg issue. I might do a bit more Mareks reading, I have 14 bantams and we love them dearly. Located Perth Australia :)

6. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    Hhhhmmmm.... she does seem to be scratching at her head. What concerns me is the posture she takes at the 5-6 second mark in the video.

Has anything changed recently? I’m wondering about an allergy to something. I know how hard it is to look in their ears, especially a bantam, but maybe try again at night when she’s already sleepy.

I agree with adding the supplements and I’d also try a lice/mite treatment. Neither will hurt at this point.

Although necropsy is the most accepted form of diagnosis for Marek’s there is a blood test. Not being from Australia I can’t tell you were to get one unfortunately.

I’m really hoping for something inner ear. That wouldn’t explain the limp but the itching and balance issue.

7. Peeekin

Peeekin In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2019
    Yes the posture where she puts her head forward with her eyes closed ? I wonder if its pain ? I want to do everything i can for her and she appears normal for majority of the day although sometimes picking her up gently causes this response too hence why i though i would try the antibiotics and anti inflam too, she was doing this before i switched from aspirin to the vet drugs. This is the only thing thats changed in regards to her management in the last 3 days.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  8. Peeekin

Peeekin In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2019
    Also she has started moulting quite rapidly ( same as the others ) so this is her first moult as such since loosing her chick fluff, could it be an extreme reaction to this at all ?

9. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    If you scratch her how does she react? Every chicken handles the molt differently. Some seem not to notice while others act ill and will even go off feed a bit.

I would think getting new feathers could be rather itchy. (not having feathers I don't know) Some chickens like when you break open the capsule the feather is encased in to release them. Others act as if in pain.

It's so hard to say. And they can't tell us!

I would keep a close eye on her. It's not something I have ever seen. I do hope for the best for you both.

10. Curnow

Curnow Songster

Mar 27, 2015
    Breckenridge, Missouri
    Getting new feathers is said to be painful from what I've read. Does she perhaps have scaly leg mite that have now gotten around her face? Have you checked her body over for injuries? I had a hen once that had a large open wound that I did not see for several days. It was a young Buff Orpington pullet that still had lots of fluff and injure was hidden by her wing. One discovered it was treatable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: