odd....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickhamm, Feb 27, 2008.

1. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    ok, its day 21/22, i had one chick i helped hatch after waiting 24 hours after pip.

one egg, almost exploaded out, zipping/cracking 3/4 of the way around in just a short amount of time then stoped. the chick never made it out and died. There was no pip / zip till a few hours ago, im wondering why it might have died.

Another chick had one tiny pip then just burst out fully, no zipping. I'm wondering if they can zip around or are to big?
    The one that died it wasnt really a zip, it was like the egg was pushed out all the way around and just cracked. i have one other egg that its like that, the white membrane is still intack but its cracked 3/4 of the way around. I just removed a bit more of its shell, noticed the inner membrane still had blood vessels but was turning white, i dampened it and then wrapped the whole egg in a wet warm papper towl and put her back in. The chick is chirping and looking out just not moving around to zip.

chickhamm
    Theressa

2. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    sounds like humidity was too low

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sounds like a humidity problem either during incubation or at hatch or both. I would check your hygrometer to make sure it is reading accurately.

Jody

4. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    The chick might be too big, I've had to help break the membrane but that might not be the correct answer. I'm hoping this will bump it up so someone more knowledgable can help.

jackie

5. chickhamm

Nov 20, 2007
    I'm get a new hygrometer tomarrow, cause during incubation its saying 40 to 50s and during hatch its reading 70 to 80 most of the time. I only have one so cant see if it might be off or something.

chickhamm
    Theressa

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I agree...I would check into another hygrometer..Did you open the bator alot during the last 3 days?...that takes a toll on a hatch too....it can stop them from pipping and zipping....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  7. chickhamm

Nov 20, 2007
    the only time i opened the bator was to help the one that had been pipped for 24 hours. then once today to help the one that had cracked the egg but not zipped.

Ive been trying really hard to stay out of the bator the last 3 days.

chickhamm
    Theressa

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by