Oddball Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BantyHugger, Jun 14, 2008.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I used to have a Rouen male. He bred with one of the Pekins and the Offspring (Zorro), looks alot like a blue magpie or a blue sweed. The same thing happened with my rouen girl and Pekin boy. Why are the babies blue and not brown and white? Is there bad ancestry in my rouens? Has anyone else had this happen?

2. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    dont know how it happend. this has never happend to me when mine mixed like that it could be a new color! lol

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Yay, well Zorro is sitting on a nest right now. I SHALL CREATE THE SUPER MUTT! LOL She's only 7 months. If the newer one has the same markings (feathers still coming in) and is also really broody i may really have a NEW breed! [​IMG]

4. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    My last flock of ducks were mallard/pekin cross. Had the usual white and mallard colors and some black and white ones. Somebody's egg produced 2 ducklings the blue feathers. I sill had some brown/mallard markings on them but the black was replaced with blue. I had a male and a female duckling do the blue feather thing.

These ducks were on the bigger side. I also had a few hatch were it was obvious that Mr. Wild Mallard had his way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by