oddly marked btw jap chick

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Akane, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    This is a 4week old chick from a pen with a btw roo, 2 btw hens (one having greenish legs instead of yellow), and a white hen. They are from eggs I got online sold as all black tailed whites and I hatched only the 1 white with the rest being btw. I get about 1 white for every 2 dozen I hatch from this pen now. I thought maybe this one was just a poorly marked btw but I noticed some brown in his feathers. Are there other genes and colors going on here or is he actually just a poorly marked btw like I thought? He also has greenish legs. Does that mean he's from the dark legged hen or could it be hidden in the yellow legged ones as well? I was going to get rid of the hen because she actually has very little black and I don't like the dark legs but she's such a nice little hen I ended up keeping her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is interesting.... I might keep him for my mutt bantam flock with the EE bantams.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    He must have a red gene/allelle? in there somewhere to get some brown in his feathers. He sure is cute. I would keep him if I were you but probably not breed him if you want to start getting more BTW Chabos. Who did you get the eggs from?

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I can try to look it up but it's been a year now and they were off eggbid so I don't remember.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by