Odds N Ends finishing the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Ok. So, I have an 8x7 (6' high) coop, that my dad built for me. Structurally, it will probably outlast my house - however, he insisted on finishing the inside and painting the outside, and well... design is not his forte... so, I am going to let him finish his last coat of paint tomorrow and then I will make the changes that I would like.

Just a few questions I was hoping I could get some advice on

1) I am using old fallen tree branches as roosts... how high off the ground do they need to be? My nesting boxes (the bottom of them) is about 2' off the ground.
    2) Any ideas for the bet way to actually MOUNT the roosts?
    3) Lighting... do I need a light on 24/7 in the coop? Actually, is it a PROBLEM if I have a light on 24/7? I kind of like it - since the coop is against my house, if I put a light on, I can see my girls at night, but I don't know if they need darkness to sleep.
    4) Any ideas? My dad put those tile sheets on the wall - they go up 4' about. Only, he used whatever he had in the house - so it is all a mish mosh mess of non-matching plastic panels. Is there anything anyone knows that I can just cover it with? Or, am I just better off ripping it down?
    5) Exterior of the coop - any ideas for a facade that is affordable? I am also debating repainting it... my dad didn't really fill in the screw holes or anything, so it really just doesn't look all that great... should I use just plaster and a sander to smoothe out the outside walls for a nicer look?
    6) Automatic Coop Door - does anyone else have a problem with it leaking? We have had some ridiculous rain storms... hard, heavy rain... also, my timer for the dern door doesn't work either.
    7) Ventilation - there are 3 windows in the coop that open/close... I have 13 chickens (4 bantams) so I need to add additional ventilation to the coop? If so - any suggestions?

Sorry there is so much, but if I ask my dad (who knows NOTHING about chickens) he will go off on a whole tangent as to why I need all these things it is fine how it is - he didn't build the coop quite as I envisioned, so I am hoping I can make the changes myself for my dream coop [​IMG]

Thanks

2. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Mount the roosts as high as your chickens can fly. My millies loved to be up and they were able to fly up and sit on the roof so I put roosts up high for them. My silkies can barely get off the ground, a nice low roost for them.

As for mounting them, I used 2 X 4 and brackets so I'm going to watch this thread and see how others have mounted natural branches and I'll as my H2B and see what he says, he's a genius when it comes to anchoring things together.

For ventilation I left under the eaves between the studs open with screen over them but then I made some openings down at floor height on the lee side of the coop. We get a lot of wind but it all comes from one direction.

That's all my pre-caffeine brain can think of. Good luck! I'm excited to check back for pictures (hint) and ideas from other BYC-ers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Can the roosts be at different levels?

I have to put shelves up for the poop boards, too.

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    If you paint the outside of the coop you can fill in with wood putty, let it dry and paint. Or you can just paint and paint over the nail/screw holes. They won't be completely filled, but will probably be less obvious to you. As far as the inside goes. I would just leave it. It may not be really appealing to you, however, it probably be really functional as far as cleaning goes. The chickens certainly don't care if the colors are not complimentary. And, Dad did take the time to build it for you. It may not be exactly as you desired it, but by re-doing the whole thing...Dad is probably going to be less likely to jump at the opportunity to help with a project like this again. [​IMG] Show him some grace for the work that he did do and in time, if you want to change things around, I bet he will be more receptive. It is really exciting to have your new coop and I'm sure you are going to do a great job of making it your own and putting your own style into it! Can't wait to see pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by