Odds of chick fatality

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuts4hotwheels, May 23, 2010.

1. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am going to get 5 chicks next weekend. Is there a big risk of a few of them dying or do they usually have a good success rate?

2. chickensrock98

chickensrock98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    whittier
    as long as you give them chick starter and water and keep them warm they should be good and i would suggest putting sugar in the water for the first 12 hours to give them energy and a good start hope this helped and please post pics of your babies when you get them [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  3. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    alot of it depends on the conditions
    the only chicks i have ever lost were being shipped to me and they were packaged very poorly. they all froze to death.
    sometimes runts just die. theres really no way of telling

4. nuts4hotwheels

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely post the pics, when I get them. I have been reading the forum for a couple of months before I registered and have learned a lot from everybody and got a lot of ideas for my coop.

5. nuts4hotwheels

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I will be picking them up in person from a local breeder, so hopefully I will be able to pick out the healthy ones.

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

DH had picked up chicks at the feedstore 3 times this Spring and all have made it and are doing great....6 are 8 weeks old, 5 are 6 weeks old and 11 are 5 weeks old. You will learn how to read their chirps and peeps and they will let you know when they are cold, hot, hungry, etc. If you are picking them up, don't let them get too hot in your vehicle or too cold from the a/c.

Good luck with your chicks. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I have only lost 1 as a fairly young chick out of ~ 40 that I've had these last two springs. However, we have lost them over time due to other factors, dogs, a bad hip, being a mean rooster, etc. I tell friends that chickens have fairly short shelf lives unfortunately. If you want to have 5 that lay, I'd get a few extra.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by