Odds on last year's broody going broody this year...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenHaven, Jun 14, 2008.

1. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I'm just wondering for those of you who have had chickens for several years--do broodys tend to go through it every year? Have any of you seen one go broody just once?

Last year's gal, got puffy and hormonal for a week or so this spring, but didn't sit. Then she returned to normal. Last year she sat on non-fertile eggs, then adopted a chick I gave her--so I don't really know what to expect now.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:The same Marans hen that has insisted on setting most of the summer the last 3 or 4 years is setting again. I wish she'd return to normal!!

3. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    I just posted questions on my broody hen. Thanks for the info, although it's not encouraging. Bummer! I'm missing the eggs

4. CleverYou

CleverYou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Most of the time a hen that will go broody once will always do it again......in my experince either they do or they dont...Some might get it right the first time and some may take a few trys..I have 4 astrolorp hens that hatch chicks all threw the winter and all summer long sometimes then just stop being broody for a month or so then Bang right back at it again:D Iv never seen a hen do it just once but that doesnt mean that it doesnt happen:p

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

As you know, Lynn, my Sunny went broody last year and the year before, but this year, no signs of it at all. However, my Blue Orp, Skye, is making broody noises now. Ominous.

6. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I'm really hoping my little EE will go broody again this year. [​IMG] She was such a good mother. She will always have a special place in my heart for raising my lone chick from Speckledhen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by